What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupational Therapy is a therapeutic discipline which aims to increase functional performance through a holistic approach (treating the whole person, not just one aspect of a person). Occupational Therapy may be appropriate for a person of any age for a host of reasons (i.e. medical or psychosocial). Treatment plans are customized to the individual, and each goal is developed through the collaboration of both therapist and patient.
Typical areas of focus are:
• Activities of Daily Living (ADLs): self-feeding, dressing, bathing, grooming, toileting, and functional mobility.
• Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs): light household tasks, meal preparation, simple money management, and community reintegration.
What is the difference between assistive technology, adaptive equipment, and durable medical equipment?
includes the use of augmentative devices (i.e. Dynavox, voice amplifier, etc.) and environmental control units or ECUs, which give the user the ability to remotely control several devices and appliances throughout their home either by speaking or through another form of customized direction, computer programs/devices- text to speech, braille readers, speech recognition, magnifiers, eye trackers, etc.
(reachers, long handled shoe horns, sock-aids, etc.) includes the gadgets one would obtain during an in-patient rehab stay, or possibly find in a local drug store.
Durable medical equipment
(raised toilet seats, grab bars, tub transfer benches, shower seats, 3 in 1 commodes, etc.) are larger devices which aim to increase functional performance and can be found in drug stores and medical equipment businesses.
Why should I implement Universal Design features in my home?
Our expert home modification and design features can be implemented to remodel your home for more convenience and accessibility. We offer our accessibility solutions throughout the Albany, NY and Troy, NY area.
• You can now live comfortably in your own home with our Universal Design features.
Instead of moving out of your long-time home, we can install safety designs that allow you to feel safe and confident throughout your home.
• These Universal Design features can also increase your home’s value.
These features can be a great investment for your home. You will attract buyers who are looking for features to meet their comfort needs.
• Universal Design features provide convenience and peace of mind.
Besides adding security to your property, these designs also provide peace of mind. Your family will no longer have to worry about you getting hurt or falling down. It will create a safer space for homeowners.
How does this business operate? The origin for our business is through referrals. A referral can come from the property owner, designated caregiver, healthcare institution employee, insurance representative, or contractor. The customer may be any of the referral sources listed. Once the referral is received, the potential customer is identified/established and initial contact is made. Depending on the category of the referral and current medical involvement, doctor's orders for occupational therapy services may be requested. Referral categories include:
• Urgent: services requested secondary to a traumatic event resulting in sudden and serious medical needs (amputation, spinal cord injury, traumatic or acquired brain injury, CVA, etc.)
• Progressive: diagnosis of a progressive neurological disorder or medical condition in which the prognosis involves serious to moderate medical needs (Parkinson’s disease, Dementia, ALS, Muscular Dystrophy, Cerebral Palsy, and visual and hearing loss related diagnoses etc.)
• Prospective: persons who are taking a proactive stance with aging in place with no immediate medical needs. These people may be concerned with the potential of genetic related medical needs or foresee a possible decrease in functional performance.
Do you provide installation services?
We provide consultations to determine the best configuration for your home in regards to your therapeutic and medical needs. We do not offer installation services of homecare equipment.
How do we get started and what are your hours?
Please email or call with any inquiries. Please call during normal business hours: Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
What forms of payment do you accept? Why don’t you accept insurance?
AAOT accepts cash, check, and/or credit card. The rationale for excluding third party payers is simple: they're “third parties.” A popular misconception is that you need insurance in order to receive quality healthcare services. AAOT supports the exclusive relationship between healthcare providers and patients. Our patients enjoy a less complicated experience, unrestricted by “payment caps” or “limited visits.” When working with AAOT, the patient, therapist, and doctor all help determine the appropriate number of visits, how long each visit lasts, and what takes place during each visit. This type of freedom is seldom found when insurance and/or Medicare is involved. YOUR health and home are big investments, with values that sometimes exceed regulation. This is why AAOT operates outside the regulations of Medicare and insurance companies.